Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Glogs

February9

Over a week ago, I had the pleasure of being able to spend a day and half of professional development time with four other instructional technology specialists and a dozen teachers (grades K-5) exploring Glogster. This time gave way for much needed “play” and discussion about how to integrate this tool into the curriculum. By the end of the second day, we had examples and resources to share as well as a new contact, Jim Dachos, Glogster’s Education Manager. (I originally started following Jim on Twitter and set up a Skype session with him during the second day. He is a tremendous resource!)

In a nutshell, Glogster is a service that allows a user to make glogs or graphic blogs. Glogster’s slogan describes its service well: “Poster Yourself”. This medium is very appealing to all kinds of learners because of the ability to express yourself not only through text, but with pictures, videos and sounds- all on a web page (glog) that is like an artist’s canvas. It’s also very simple to use.

I recently read on Sean Banville’s blog that he used a glog as a way to introduce himself to his students. Sounds like a great alternative to a PowerPoint! I also have used a glog where my normal inclination would have been to present with a slideshow. I used a glog as a backdrop for a Web 2.0 presentation that I gave to parents this school year. That was a different experience, but one that was very interactive and visual for participants. It really showed the parents a Web 2.0 tool in action. The first glog page is embedded below. (If I were to do it again, I definitely would embed some video!)

*Here are links to a few ideas/examples that we created on our PD day:

Biography

What If? Biography

Animal Report

Kindergarten Author Study

Once you get started, the integration possibilities are endless as you will see by visiting the site. Jim Dachos stressed the importance of a teacher signing up for an education account at Glogster Edu. There are many resources available to teachers there. Check out that home page! And don’t forget to scroll to see what’s been added. There are links to tons of student examples, step by step directions, the Educator Resource Library and even tips for Mac users. 🙂 With the education account, a teacher can receive 200 student accounts (very nice!). All can be managed by the teacher from a dashboard. Also, glogs can be made private and shared only to certain individuals via a link or they may be embedded on a web page, wiki or blog. The standard service is free, and you do get a lot for that price tag! To upgrade to premium, it’s about $100 per year.

Glogs are great a vehicle to deliver instruction to students as well as have students synthesize their own meaning on a topic.

What do you think about glogs?

————

Want to learn more? Here are two great Glogster resources:

Traci Blazosky’s Wiki

Karen Ogen’s (@teacherkab) Glogster Handout

*Thanks to Andrea Gardner, Joy Courcy, Margorie Nardini, Ruth Freeman, Sarah Rivard, Karen Burke and Liz Colantuonio for letting me share their terrific work!

8 Comments to

“Glogs”

1. February 9th, 2010 at 5:56 am       Tamra Lanning Says:

Thank you for this post! I’ve wanted to explore Glogster for quite some time and this post provided the push I needed. I’m going to spend some time on it today.:-)

2. February 9th, 2010 at 8:28 am       lsanderson Says:

It is a great tool! Have fun! 🙂

3. February 9th, 2010 at 10:45 am       TheresaG Says:

Thanks so much for the resources!! I have been wanting to explore this resource for a while and you are motivating me to do so!!

4. February 9th, 2010 at 11:55 am       Patti Says:

I had never heard of a glog until today. what a great resource for the classroom. I was thrilled to find a glogs that are geared to ELL students. Thanks, Lisa!

5. February 9th, 2010 at 3:09 pm       Kelly Says:

I love glogster. It is such an easy platform to use and produces incredible results. The sky is the limit, any time you want students to show what they know, a Glog is appropriate!

6. February 9th, 2010 at 7:43 pm       Katie Says:

I know Glog is a good way to integrate the different topics of DV club. I need to get on and explore. Thanks for making all the links.

7. February 10th, 2010 at 7:57 am       Melissa Says:

Wow! I have enjoyed using glogster in the past for a few things, but these are great ideas and resources that you shared. Thanks so much. Now I am off to find something else I can create using glogster . . . 🙂

8. February 13th, 2010 at 11:45 pm       Chollingsworth Says:

Thanks for the Glogster examples! I think this can be a great tool for many different age levels.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Glogs | Tech Tuesday -- Topsy.com

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar