Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Apple Update 5/4/10 with a Focus on the iPad

May4

I’m sitting at the Spring 2010 Apple Update listening to the latest news, features and hoping to check out the latest products from Apple- otherwise known as the iPad. 🙂

Here are some tidbits… I’m picking and choosing as it’s all so amazing, yet overwhelming at the same time.

Apple now has an Apple Education podcast. ‘The Apple Education Profiles series includes compelling stories about leaders,educators, researchers, and IT professionals using Apple technology to advance teaching and learning in schools, colleges, and universities.’ These free podcasts look pretty good. I did a little bit of surfing around the site and came across some other very helpful podcasts produced by Apple Inc and others:

Find out how- Mac Basics – Great for first time Mac users and just learning more about your Mac!

Find out how – iWork ’09 – A lot of us are heavy Microsoft Office users eventhough we have iWork loaded on our Macs. This podcast looks like it’s what those of us need who are trying to learn how to use Pages, Keynote and Numbers and who often will leave the applications to just do the project in Office because it’s what we are familiar with. And yes, I am guilty of that!

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac: How-To Videos – And for those who really want to use Office!

Find out how -Web:  iWeb ’09, Find out how – Photos: iPhoto ’09, Find out how – iMovie 09, etc. There seems to be a podcast for everything in the iLife suite, and you can find the links without much surfing at the site.

And now, for what we’ve all been waiting for…

The presenters demonstrated and fielded questions about the iPad:

The number one question that they seem to be getting these days: Is there a way to “lock down” the App/iTunes Store? Sounds like a lot of educators and IT staff are concerned about students getting into it. I have learned that you can remove the Apps Store and iTunes Store from the device. But that takes away all of the “stuff” from iTunesU and other great apps that are educational, doesn’t it? It was suggested to use the iPhone Configuration Utility. I’m not familiar with that, but I’m just passing it along to those who may be. Other thoughts were that you could set up an iTunes account without a credit card. That way you still can get to the FREE apps. It was pointed out to us that you can purchase an app and gift it to someone. As a side note- we were cautioned that an individual has a $100 gifting limit.

It was emphasized that the iPad is not a Mac. It’s an individual device. It is not running an operating system like your computer. There are no directory services, so you can’t log-in.

For those who are thinking about how to deploy these in large numbers in schools there is a cart for iPads from Datamation Systems- two models and plans for others. As of this post, Bretford did not have one.

There is no native printing with an iPad. A lot of people seem to get around printing by emailing to a computer that is set up to a printer. The apps Air Sharing and Print Central were suggested as solutions as well.

Another question people had was can an iPad be connected to a projector or TV? VGA, Composite or Component AV cables can be plugged into it. However, projection only works with certain applications and features, such as videos, podcasts, photo slideshows, Keynote slides, and YouTube. You can not mirror the iPad screen. It was suggested that a little USB camera device from IPEVO could be used. You would plug the camera into a computer/laptop plugged into a projector. You then would turn the camera toward the iPad in order to show what was happening on the device. These devices are about $69 dollars and seem like they could come in quite handy for other projection needs versus buying an expensive document camera. The quality is very clear (and I’m sitting in the back of the room).

Of course the Flash question came up. iPad does not run Flash. Steve Job’s response to why not is that Apple is ‘leaving the past behind.’ He was quoted as saying that the Apps Store has applications for mobile devices that have rich graphics without Flash. He had strong words for Adobe getting up to speed with mobile technology. Hmmmm….

I was glad to see that the iWork suite can be purchased for the iPad for $9.99. Looks like a simplified version of the programs.

Essentially, iPod is an access device… MacBook/iMac is a creation device… iPad is somewhere in between. Looks like it’s time to be pioneers and figure out how they fit into schools.

My brain is on overload, so I’m going to stop here. 🙂

More Resources: URLs mentioned at Apple Spring Tech Update 2010

4 Comments to

“Apple Update 5/4/10 with a Focus on the iPad”

1. May 5th, 2010 at 11:02 am       Patti Says:

I felt overwhelmed as I read your post. I would love to have an iPad so that I could gradually learn how to use various apps. It would be so convenient for traveling! Thanks for sharing!

2. May 5th, 2010 at 6:50 pm       lsanderson Says:

It definitely was a lot to take in… now I want one, so I can try things out! 🙂

3. May 7th, 2010 at 11:59 am       ktenkely Says:

I went to the same workshop in CO a few weeks ago, very excited about the possibilities of the iPad in the classroom. I am working on a pilot iPad program right now. I’ll keep you updated!

4. June 5th, 2010 at 2:44 pm       David Gammill Says:

This is a great post. Thanks! Has anyone heard of elementary schools allowing children to take these home yet?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Apple Update 5/4/10 with a Focus on the iPad | Tech Tuesday -- Topsy.com

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar