Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

App-tober #5: iMovie App Example Project

October30

To finish off my App-tober posts, here is a sample of an iMovie app project.

In Grade 5, students are being asked to write sentences using key vocabulary words from their reading. Every other week, the students are working in groups to make these sentences into movies. The movies are being created right in iMovie on the iPod Touches using the built-in cameras. Motivation to make these movies is very high. I have witnessed groups of students who are usually not excited about vocabulary actively participating in the work and conversations necessary to show what they know about the vocabulary words. This project certainly appeals to different learning styles: visual (picture taking) and verbal/auditory (voice recording the sentences) that are not addressed with the traditional paper and pencil vocab sentence submission. The teacher’s end goal is for students to develop more content rich sentences. I think we’re heading in the right direction.

Want to revisit, the App-tober posts?

App-tober #1

App-tober #2

App-tober #3

App-tober #4

2 Comments to

“App-tober #5: iMovie App Example Project”

1. October 30th, 2012 at 2:09 pm       karla Says:

I did not understand the video…? Is it supposed to be a video of the vocab in action? Thx :)

2. October 30th, 2012 at 3:33 pm       lsanderson Says:

Hi, Karla.
    The video interpretation may have nothing to do with the literature that the student read. It’s just another way to write key book vocabulary into your own sentence(s).
    The example video showcased the word “disorganized”. The vocab word was used in the first sentence, and then supporting sentences were given to demonstrate that the creator understood the word’s meaning. For ease of production, one picture was taken for each sentence.
    We’re finding that students are very eager to do their vocabulary work this way!
    Does this help? :) Lisa

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Next F2F Session:

TBA

The Latest from mssanderson_ITS

Flag Counter

Dear Reader,

Here’s some info about this blog.

Jan. 2010 – June 2010 This blog served as a technology professional development portal. It was a chance for us to explore what was (and still is) out there. As we know, a lot of the latest tools and resources only take a few minutes to preview and learn. Making the time is often the trickiest feat. Therefore, I proposed Tech Tuesday. Every Tuesday something new was waiting for you to check out on this blog. On select Tuesdays, there even were face-to-face session in the Abbot lab @ 7:45 A.M. In under 30 minutes, I demonstrated the new tool, and participants got some time to play. It was requested that participants gave the tool a little more thought or another “go”, and then follow-up with a comment on this blog, reviewing the tool for a grade level or subject. The ultimate goal or end product was that one tool or resource would be implemented fully into teaching practices to benefit student learning. We also had a great resource blog for people to consult in the end!

October 2010 – ?: I am going to continue to update the Tech Tuesday blog on at least a monthly basis. There’s still so much to learn and share. So always check in on Tuesdays to see what’s going on, or better yet, subscribe! :)