Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Student Blogging

December18

I have been thinking a lot about student blogging recently. And by thinking, I really mean reading what others are saying about it.

Here are some blog posts that I hope will inspire you to continue or even start blogging with your students:

Pernille Ripp‘s Ideas for Integrating a Student Blog in Your Curriculum & What Does Student Blogging Exactly Do?

My favorite line from Pernille Ripp: ‘Students don’t need more work, they need more authenticity in their educational experience.’ Blogging should not be an add-on to the curriculum. One should consider where it fits naturally. After reading her list, I am beginning to wonder if we can afford not to have students blogging?

Edna Sackson ‘s 10 20 ways to think about your class blog

The reflective questions on this post got me wondering about the importance of meaningful conversations. We always are moving on to the next topic to meet curriculum demands. Unfortunately, that kind of pace leaves us with many missed opportunities for deeper understandings.

Silvia Tolisano ‘s Student Blogs: Learning to Write in Digital Spaces

A great take away from this post is the “Take Another Look At Your Blog Post” checklist that emphasizes quality writing. I like how it focuses on “voice” and includes such things as ‘makes the reader curious’ while keeping the expectation of proper spelling and grammar. It even challenges us to consider embedding multimedia. These are essential components in order to reach an audience effectively.

With all of this in mind, I’m excited to help our school librarian get her Have You Read Anything Good Lately? Blog going once again in 2013. I’m hoping the students will be as well.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Next F2F Session:

TBA

The Latest from mssanderson_ITS

Flag Counter

Dear Reader,

Here’s some info about this blog.

Jan. 2010 – June 2010 This blog served as a technology professional development portal. It was a chance for us to explore what was (and still is) out there. As we know, a lot of the latest tools and resources only take a few minutes to preview and learn. Making the time is often the trickiest feat. Therefore, I proposed Tech Tuesday. Every Tuesday something new was waiting for you to check out on this blog. On select Tuesdays, there even were face-to-face session in the Abbot lab @ 7:45 A.M. In under 30 minutes, I demonstrated the new tool, and participants got some time to play. It was requested that participants gave the tool a little more thought or another “go”, and then follow-up with a comment on this blog, reviewing the tool for a grade level or subject. The ultimate goal or end product was that one tool or resource would be implemented fully into teaching practices to benefit student learning. We also had a great resource blog for people to consult in the end!

October 2010 – ?: I am going to continue to update the Tech Tuesday blog on at least a monthly basis. There’s still so much to learn and share. So always check in on Tuesdays to see what’s going on, or better yet, subscribe! :)