Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

MOOCing Things Up

January15

Always wanting to learn and connect with others in the field of technology integration, I joined a MOOC yesterday.

(I would expect a lot of raised eyebrows at this point wondering what I am talking about…)

What is a MOOC? It stands for Massive Open Online Course. And I’m one of about 1400 people worldwide who (most likely) saw  this free educational technology and media course being tweeted, and without too much hesitation signed up wanting to get in on the sharing and conversations.

This MOOC can be found on Twitter with the #ETMOOC hashtag. Also, it is on Google+. Within hours of me signing up, I couldn’t believe the conversations that were piling up in my Gmail inbox. It was a little overwhelming, and I admit that I turned off notifications as over a thousand people’s posts is a bit much to digest. (Of course, now I will need to visit the Google+ page on my own to see what’s going on.) I know a lot of you are thinking who has the time for checking all this out? I’m even thinking that, too. However, I’m curious about this network of what seems to be very enthusiastic educators that has been created. What kinds of good stuff will be shared and discussed? Can I bring any of this back to my school, students and colleagues?

So this is my new adventure and intro video… I’m going to be MOOCing things up a bit, I guess.

(Disclaimer- I am NOT an artist, and this was a risk trying out Doodlecast Pro for the first time which I’m still on the fence about…)

Want to join us? There’s always room for one more. Check out last night’s archived session and visit #ETMOOC site for more information.

by posted under ETMOOC | 8 Comments »    
8 Comments to

“MOOCing Things Up”

1. January 16th, 2013 at 1:21 am       Debs Seed Says:

Great intro, Lisa! I use Explain Everything which to record videos, not as creative as yours though!

I was interested in your ‘history’, I’m currently studying for my masters in educational technology and my interest is staff development in any type of elearning, particularly online and offline communities of practice. I’ve set both up at work with not much success at present! Would love to steal/chat about some of your ideas. Tech Tuesday seems a great idea!

Look forward to learning with you on #etmooc :).

2. January 16th, 2013 at 6:55 am       Vito Says:

Hi Lisa,
    Love the Doodlecast video you created. Do any of our teachers use this? Are there teachers interested in using this? I can see this being used to “Flip” the classroom. Teachers putting a review lesson on line.
    Vito

3. January 16th, 2013 at 12:18 pm       lsanderson Says:

Hi, Vito.
    Doodlecast Pro is actually an iPad app. Noelle is excited to use it with her students on the Learning Center iPads. We were thinking that it would be great for the students to use to explain their thinking as well as having Noelle do mini reminder lessons for the students to access at home with their parents. I’m pretty sure that there is a computer application that will do similar things… I’d love to help classroom teachers set up their own YouTube Channels to post such videos and embed in their blogs! Thanks for checking out my blog. The conversation is appreciated! 🙂

4. January 16th, 2013 at 12:21 pm       lsanderson Says:

Thanks so much, Debs!
    I haven’t tried Explain Everything yet, but it is now on the top of the list as I found Doodlecast to be a bit temperamental last night. However, it could have been the late hour and my patience!
    I’d love to connect about professional development for staff. My Twitter handle is mssanderson_ITS.

5. January 16th, 2013 at 3:51 pm       cathy lanno Says:

I don’t know the particulars of MOOC, but it looks like something that third, fourth, and fifth graders would be able to use as a learning tool for music learning and its integration into other core subjects.
    Where do I sign up?!

6. January 16th, 2013 at 3:57 pm       lsanderson Says:

Hi, Cathy.
    Thanks for stopping by the blog!
    Let’s chat. I’m not sure if you’re interested in MOOC or the Doodlecast that I made? 🙂

7. January 23rd, 2013 at 12:22 am       Ms. Lirenman Says:

I love how you used Doodlecast Pro for this. My go to tool for my videos always seems to be iMovie yet my grade one students use so many other tools (which I’ve shown them). Funny isn’t it. Karen

8. January 23rd, 2013 at 8:13 am       lsanderson Says:

Thanks, Karen. We are such creatures of habit!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar