Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

It’s the Little Things…

October29

Being an elementary educator, I know that it’s those little things that can make our days… especially when those little things help us manage and engage a classroom of students! At MassCUE in Suzy Brooks‘ presentation, “Technically Invisible,” I came across such a tool that I think teachers with mounted projectors will love to try out: a random name selector.

Simply copy and paste a class list and hit the go! button. The site will choose a name from the list. You then remove the name from the list and go again. This tool essentially is a substitute for names in a can or whatever way you randomly choose students in your classroom.

However, the selector doesn’t just have to be used for names. Instead each line could be used for a question or problem. The list now is a study guide. Click go and you have a random way to review content with a whole class (in a game like fashion), or you could save the embed code or link of your personalized list of questions/problems to be inserted into your classroom website or blog for students to access at home.

Example: Here are the definitions of some key vocabulary from a third grade unit on New England and local history. Do you know the terms? Try it out here. (Click go! to start the selector.)

Of course, it doesn’t give the answers, but it keeps students on their toes as well as replaces paper copies of questions that may have been misplaced or lost when a parent asks, “What’s on the test tomorrow?”

Nothing fancy. Just another resource for your bag of tricks.

by posted under Assessment, Management | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“It’s the Little Things…”

1. October 29th, 2013 at 11:50 am       msguild Says:

Wow! What a great site, thanks for the share! I already used this site once today and it was so much easier than pulling out the popsicle sticks I have with the kids’ names on them (which I always loose). This way was quicker and the kids loved it. :)

2. October 29th, 2013 at 12:08 pm       lsanderson Says:

A tool made someone’s job easier today… Yay!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Next F2F Session:

TBA

The Latest from mssanderson_ITS

Flag Counter

Dear Reader,

Here’s some info about this blog.

Jan. 2010 – June 2010 This blog served as a technology professional development portal. It was a chance for us to explore what was (and still is) out there. As we know, a lot of the latest tools and resources only take a few minutes to preview and learn. Making the time is often the trickiest feat. Therefore, I proposed Tech Tuesday. Every Tuesday something new was waiting for you to check out on this blog. On select Tuesdays, there even were face-to-face session in the Abbot lab @ 7:45 A.M. In under 30 minutes, I demonstrated the new tool, and participants got some time to play. It was requested that participants gave the tool a little more thought or another “go”, and then follow-up with a comment on this blog, reviewing the tool for a grade level or subject. The ultimate goal or end product was that one tool or resource would be implemented fully into teaching practices to benefit student learning. We also had a great resource blog for people to consult in the end!

October 2010 – ?: I am going to continue to update the Tech Tuesday blog on at least a monthly basis. There’s still so much to learn and share. So always check in on Tuesdays to see what’s going on, or better yet, subscribe! :)