Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Read Our Lips

November5

Recently, I attended an excellent MassCUE workshop presented by Timothy Harkins that focused on integrating iPads into elementary science. This session reinforced the idea that it’s best to choose a few apps and use them for many purposes. From this session, one easy to use app that I added to my must try list was Funny Movie Maker.

This app lets the user create a 3o second talking avatar movie. The gist: use a pre-made picture in the app or snap your own. Cut out a mouth in the picture, and then record yourself or someone else’s mouth doing the talking. This movie can be shared to Photos (and then accessed from the device via Dropbox), or emailed right from the app. The exported movie file can be inserted on a blog or web page for an audience.

One word of caution: the available pictures in the app’s library can be a little suspect… and even strange… imagine muscle men and a lot of fruit. Therefore, taking your own pictures with the camera seems like the best option. Students can create a hand drawing, make a clay figure or use a toy figure to depict their character/subject.

This app can be used for any content area, letting students report research findings, explain their thinking or explore a different perspective. Any object can be personified and given the chance to speak its mind, inspiring creativity.

On Halloween, some fifth graders participated in a voluntary project: create a pumpkin to represent the main character of a biography or “boo-ography”. On the spur of the moment, we seized the opportunity to bring these pumpkins to life with the Funny Movie Maker app.

So, go ahead and read (or rather, watch and listen to) our lips!

(Please double click on the embedded movies below.)

4 Comments to

“Read Our Lips”

1. November 5th, 2013 at 10:39 am       Kathy Doucette Says:

Could this work with the fourth graders self portraits with an autobiography?

2. November 5th, 2013 at 3:25 pm       Stacey Says:

The kids did a great job with very little rehearsal. I can’t wait to do it with the whole class for something.

3. November 5th, 2013 at 6:27 pm       lsanderson Says:

Kathy- we could make talking self portraits or pop art! Andy Warhol would have loved it!

4. November 5th, 2013 at 6:32 pm       lsanderson Says:

Stacey, I, too, was impressed at how students were able to give me a quick sentence or two on the fly. I think the app has a lot of potential!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Next F2F Session:

TBA

The Latest from mssanderson_ITS

Flag Counter

Dear Reader,

Here’s some info about this blog.

Jan. 2010 – June 2010 This blog served as a technology professional development portal. It was a chance for us to explore what was (and still is) out there. As we know, a lot of the latest tools and resources only take a few minutes to preview and learn. Making the time is often the trickiest feat. Therefore, I proposed Tech Tuesday. Every Tuesday something new was waiting for you to check out on this blog. On select Tuesdays, there even were face-to-face session in the Abbot lab @ 7:45 A.M. In under 30 minutes, I demonstrated the new tool, and participants got some time to play. It was requested that participants gave the tool a little more thought or another “go”, and then follow-up with a comment on this blog, reviewing the tool for a grade level or subject. The ultimate goal or end product was that one tool or resource would be implemented fully into teaching practices to benefit student learning. We also had a great resource blog for people to consult in the end!

October 2010 – ?: I am going to continue to update the Tech Tuesday blog on at least a monthly basis. There’s still so much to learn and share. So always check in on Tuesdays to see what’s going on, or better yet, subscribe! :)