Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Concrete Poetry and so much more

April15

A few weeks back an app went FREE and caught my eye: Path on – Swipe to Type.

Immediately, I saw a good elementary school use: concrete poetry. And the app’s so easy…

• Snap a picture.
  • Draw some lines.
  • Type your text (and it will follow the line path).
  • Choose a font and effect. (In fact, there are so many fonts and styles to please just about everyone and to make sure that the words are easy to read for an audience.)
  • Share.

I must note the one drawback so far: no spell check.

Here are some student poetry examples by third and fifth graders:

Pathongr3ex1

Pathongr3ex2

2014-04-01 09.10.01

2014-04-01 09.20.21

Of course, this app becomes even more powerful when you stretch your imagination of going beyond just a still photo.

Since a Path on – Swipe to Type can be saved to the Camera Roll, the image may be used in many other apps and multimedia ways. Here are three quick ideas:

Here is an example of a “book” (PDF) made with Keynote and Path on – Swipe to Type images during a Colonial Academic Choice. (I also love how hands-on this project was with student made props!)

Path on – Swipe to Type‘s slogan: Give your pictures a thousand words- whatever and wherever you want!

I couldn’t agree more.

The creation, critical thinking and communication possibilities are endless.

4 Comments to

“Concrete Poetry and so much more”

1. April 15th, 2014 at 9:32 am       Stacey Says:

I like the Lego people as the House of Burgesses in the “book”

2. April 15th, 2014 at 9:42 am       lsanderson Says:

Lego always makes an appearance in social studies projects!

3. April 16th, 2014 at 8:20 am       Peri Schultz Says:

LOVE this! So many “smashing” possibilities! Wish it were still free.
    If you notice it for free again, holler!
    Peri

4. April 16th, 2014 at 8:25 am       lsanderson Says:

“Smashing” is right, Peri!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Next F2F Session:

TBA

The Latest from mssanderson_ITS

Flag Counter

Dear Reader,

Here’s some info about this blog.

Jan. 2010 – June 2010 This blog served as a technology professional development portal. It was a chance for us to explore what was (and still is) out there. As we know, a lot of the latest tools and resources only take a few minutes to preview and learn. Making the time is often the trickiest feat. Therefore, I proposed Tech Tuesday. Every Tuesday something new was waiting for you to check out on this blog. On select Tuesdays, there even were face-to-face session in the Abbot lab @ 7:45 A.M. In under 30 minutes, I demonstrated the new tool, and participants got some time to play. It was requested that participants gave the tool a little more thought or another “go”, and then follow-up with a comment on this blog, reviewing the tool for a grade level or subject. The ultimate goal or end product was that one tool or resource would be implemented fully into teaching practices to benefit student learning. We also had a great resource blog for people to consult in the end!

October 2010 – ?: I am going to continue to update the Tech Tuesday blog on at least a monthly basis. There’s still so much to learn and share. So always check in on Tuesdays to see what’s going on, or better yet, subscribe! :)