Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Digital Storytelling with Toontastic

December8

I had such a great time today with two third grade classes that I’m going to make this a “Two for Tuesday” with a second post!

I did some interactive “writing” with students where I modeled choosing a prompt and then how to tell my story using the app Toontastic. This easy to use app took us through the elements of a story, guiding us to choose backgrounds and characters. We even could add mood music! I brainstormed with students as I constructed my story and then made choices. I even asked students to get into character and help me with the animation and voices. What an engaging way to “write” a story as a class. They loved it, and are highly motivated to try out this app at a literacy center for writing their own stories or retelling stories that they have read.

The prompt that I chose today is holiday inspired… please enjoy the two different versions below! And of course, this app has so many backgrounds and characters, plus the option of creating your own, that the possibilities for topics are endless in your digital storytelling. Any subject will work, too. I envision seeing these embedded on blogs for sharing with an audience… How can you use it?

Please double click on the boxes for the videos to begin.

Cookie Conflict

Elves on Strike

6 Comments to

“Digital Storytelling with Toontastic”

1. December 8th, 2015 at 7:44 pm       Mrs. Freeman Says:

These are wonderful! I love the graphics and the story was adorable!
    Can’t wait to try it out.

2. December 8th, 2015 at 8:26 pm       lsanderson Says:

Ruth, your class would love this app!

3. December 8th, 2015 at 9:31 pm       Stacey Mulholland Says:

I just added it to my home iPad to play with. I see Jacob and I making some funny movies. Hmm, what to do for school with it…

4. December 8th, 2015 at 10:35 pm       Chris Stanvick Says:

Sign me up! Can’t wait to think up a fun plot and interesting characters!

5. December 9th, 2015 at 5:02 am       lsanderson Says:

Awesome, Chris! I will connect with you.

6. December 9th, 2015 at 5:05 am       lsanderson Says:

Stacey, I had to create a YouTube Channel in order to host the multitude of creations that my son has produced since Monday! He is even showing one during his share at school this week.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar