Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Delicious

January12

As I sit here pondering this week’s post, I have been checking out what’s going on in the Twitterverse of my PLN (Personal Learning Network). Some may call it procrastination, but I’d say it’s inspiration. This has been the scenario: Read a tweet. Click on link. Retweet and/or bookmark. Repeat. After several cycles, it occurred to me that I should showcase a tool that I am using continuously to keep all of these great website links that my PLN has to offer organized.

May I introduce you to Delicious, a free, social bookmarking service. Simply, it allows a user to save and tag websites. You may be wondering how that’s different from bookmarking a site in Firefox or Safari? When you bookmark a site in a web browser, it only is available to you on that one machine. Therefore, if you find a cool site on your home machine and bookmark it in Firefox, when you go to school and open up Firefox it’s not on your bookmarks menu. However, if you were to save the link to your Delicious account while you were at home, then when you went to school (or anywhere) all you would have to do is hop on the Internet, log into Delicious and you would have access to all of your links. Delicious allows you to save all of your favorite web pages in a central location. No more emailing links to yourself!

I personally find Delicious great for tagging and organizing all of the links that come my way. I often do not have a use for them at that very moment, but want to store them away for the perfect occasion. Tagging is organizing the bookmarks with keywords. That way I can sort through my bookmarks on Delicious very quickly when I’m looking for something on a particular topic. (Interested in learning more about tagging? Check out thisย video presentation from Chris Betcher at the K12 Online Conference 2008.)

Finally, there is the social aspect of Delicious. You actually can see how many other people have bookmarked a particular site. I guess this can make you feel like you’re “one of the gang” or a pioneer. Or perhaps, you’re thinking “Who cares how many people have bookmarked that rocks & minerals website?” Well, with one more click on that number, it is revealed to you which Delicious users have bookmarked the site. You then can click on one of those users and see all of his/her bookmarks. This may feel like an invasion of privacy; however, this is social networking. At Delicious, it’s encouraged to share what you’re finding on the Internet. And maybe, that person who bookmarked that rocks & minerals site has a real interest in geology and tons of sites that you could utilize as well.

Is Delicious faster than a Google search? Maybe. Like getting recommendations from a global web community with your same interests? Yes. Of course, you still have to decide if the site works for you, but you now have a tool that may make your life and job a little more organized… and easier.

Feel free to check out my bookmarks on Delicious.

Here’s a short video explanation and tutorial of Delicious and social bookmarking from a great resource: Common Craft.

4 Comments to

“Delicious”

1. January 12th, 2010 at 4:17 pm       Patti Says:

This is a great find for me as I travel to many buildings and use several different computers.A great way to find information quickly!

2. January 12th, 2010 at 5:08 pm       lsanderson Says:

This is a must have tool for you- absolutely! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. January 14th, 2010 at 3:51 am       ktenkely Says:

Delicious is a great way to organize all of those fun finds. I need to get back into the habit of using my delicious account. As it sits I have hundreds of tabs open in four separate browsers. I keep opening and thinking “I’ll tag them all later”. I have set myself up for quite a task.

4. January 14th, 2010 at 10:12 am       lsanderson Says:

I remember seeing your multiple browsers with a crazy number of tabs pic on Twitter! ๐Ÿ™‚

I can’t live without my Delicious toolbar now.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Next F2F Session:

TBA
Flag Counter

Subscribe By Email

Get every new post delivered right to your inbox.

This form is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Skip to toolbar