Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Tellagami – Share a Short Story, Fact or PSA

March26

Tellagami came across my radar again last week. And the timing was right. I had a few minutes to download the app on our iPod Touches and within a minute I had created an avatar that appeared to be standing in Abbot School computer lab, dealing with printing issues. (Check him out here.)

OK- not an epic story, I admit, but it made me think of the curriculum integration possibilities…

Luckily, for me, an unsuspecting teacher was across the hall and available to hear my sales pitch. Again, timing is everything. She told me that her students were in the middle of animal research, and we decided to give the app a test run by having the students record a fact or two in the form of a Gami. Students also would choose a background for the avatar as well as make some character and style options. The Gami would be saved to the Photos app on the Touches, and then emailed to me for uploading to a wiki/blog.

Here are the fruits of our experiment.

As you can see, the character options are male or female with a little room for personalization. (Personally, I think having limited choice sometimes is a good thing, and an avatar can be less intimidating than having your own picture or video footage.) Some students chose to use snap a picture of a book as the backdrop while others took a picture of bulletin board in the classroom- simple and easy to do. The app allows for either recording your voice or typing text for the narration. The audio recording only can be 30 seconds while the text maximum is 440 characters. The teacher chose the voice recording option as it would be faster and there would be less editing. (Of course, having the two ways for narration is ideal for meeting different student needs.)

To help things run smoother during our short amount of time dedicated to this endeavor, students were given a planning sheet to write the facts/script and make notes about what the background would be prior to receiving the iPod Touch. Furthermore, a direction sheet to help guide them step-by-step was utilized as they used the app. The app is pretty intuitive; however, to keep students focused and on track especially with the sharing aspect (since the final files had to be in the correct format for our wiki/blog), the sheet was extremely helpful.

The next step is to have students visit the wiki/blog this week to watch and comment. Not only will students have an opportunity to learn a new animal information, but they will be expected to give specific feedback on the presentation. This feedback and the overall experience is setting the students up for our next endeavor: to use the Tellagami app to create a weather forecast. This action will demonstrate their newly acquired knowledge from science class that will be embedded in an overall weather presentation (PowerPoint).

Do you have any ideas of where a Gami could aid your students in telling a short story, explaining facts or even making a public service announcement?

7 Comments to

“Tellagami – Share a Short Story, Fact or PSA”

1. August 9th, 2013 at 1:28 am       michelle.lidbetter Says:

I need to know if this can be loaded onto PC as it implies it can when you google but haven’t found anything useful yet. I will be using this app with the autism kids on their ipads…. lets see how we go! michelle lidbetter teacher -librarian Campbelltown north ps

2. August 9th, 2013 at 7:33 am       lsanderson Says:

Hi, Michelle.
    When your Tellagami creation is exported from the iPads it is a .mov file. QuickTime will open that file, and I believe that it will work on a PC with QuickTime. Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Lisa

3. November 13th, 2013 at 12:28 pm       jjelarcic Says:

I tried to access your directions sheet and the link does not work–it goes to an error page. Could I get your directions sheet?

4. November 14th, 2013 at 8:29 am       lsanderson Says:

First, thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Second – What kind of device are you using to access it?
    On a desktop/laptop computer, the link appears to be working fine. On an iPad, I receive an error message, but then once the message is closed, the document appears for me. Please let me know if you continue to have difficulty and I gladly will email you the sheet.

5. January 18th, 2014 at 10:08 pm       Kim Says:

When I try to type in something for the character to say, I get a message saying there was an error. I don’t want to record, since I’m having my students use it to check for errors in their writing. I see it’s a known problem. Have you found a way around it?

6. January 20th, 2014 at 1:26 pm       lsanderson Says:

I actually have not used Tellagami in a while… I need to investigate. I will get back to you!

7. January 22nd, 2014 at 9:23 am       lsanderson Says:

Hi, Kim.
    In the past, we had been using the voice recording feature of the app, not the text option. Therefore, I had not encountered the error message. I found that if I typed text, I too, received the error. If I then went back into text I could click “Done” again and 50% of the time, the text was accepted. If I were persistent with this method (kept clicking “Done” after the error message), eventually the text was accepted. I contacted Tellagami to see if they had any suggestions. This was Tellagami’s response:

Thanks for your email. First, please confirm that you have a strong wifi/Internet connection. On a few occasions our servers may be overloaded by so many people creating Gamis which may cause the “whoops” message when using text to speech but you shouldn’t have any issues with recording your own voice on the app.

If you are using text to speech, please start the app again, enter NEW text (or modify existing text) and press preview. If you get an error message, hit the preview button again (this should clear your older preview). You can always record your own voice as well.

Let us know if you continue to experience any issues. Thanks for your patience!

Follow us on Twitter & Facebook for the latest app updates.

Sincerely,

Team Tellagami

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar