Tech Tuesday

Finds and Thoughts about Tech Integration

Making Video Assignments More Interactive for Students (and More Informative For Teachers)

January5

For demonstration purposes, I am a student in many real Google Classrooms. Therefore, I often will receive emails to assignments (since I’m an adult in our school domain with email privileges activated).  I don’t mind receiving these emails as they keep me in the loop of how people are using Google Classroom. I have noticed a trend lately. A lot of assignments revolve around students watching carefully selected videos for curriculum topics. This is an easy way to have students access videos. I, myself, have had students access videos in Classroom and then complete reflections about the videos on a Google Doc. I now think it’s an appropriate time to share a tool that can take this video watching to a different level: EDpuzzle.

EDpuzzle allows a teacher to insert specific questions into a video. The video actually will stop playing at the desired point and ask the watcher to answer a question. The student does not have to wait until the end of the entire video. Even better, EDpuzzle collects the answers for the teacher. Here’s a straight-forward example I found on the site:

If you sign up for EDpuzzle (It’s free!), you can look at lots of examples there. (I discovered that some people made their own videos first and then used EDpuzzle to insert questions… those are quite advanced! Most videos, however, were educational ones that people found on the Internet.)

The service also is easy for students to sign up for… they just use a class code that you give them.

The EDpuzzle site is very supportive and takes you through the steps of using the service, including video cropping and adding your voice. I also found some great tutorials  from Richard Byrne. (His blog, Free Technology for Teachers, is a tremendous resource that you should check out!) Why recreate the wheel? Embedded below are his step by step screencasts. The first one takes you through the basics, and the second shows you how to integrate this tool seamlessly with Google Classroom. Win-win!

Creating & Distributing Flipped Lessons Through EDpuzzle by Richard Byrne

How to send lessons from EDpuzzle to Google Classroom by Richard Byrne

(Videos too small? Click on the YouTube link to watch them.)

by posted under Assessment, Resource | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“Making Video Assignments More Interactive for Students (and More Informative For Teachers)”

1. January 5th, 2016 at 4:18 pm       Stacey Says:

Lisa,
    This is great. I will definitely give this a try.

I also try to use Suzy Brooks’ 3E method to enhance watching. http://www.technicallyinvisible.com/7558-2/

2. January 5th, 2016 at 6:36 pm       lsanderson Says:

Stacey, I can see you easily integrating this into your assignments. I will check out the 3E Method. Thanks for the link!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar